Monthly Construction & Environmental Project Updates
West End (SR 79)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area.
- Traffic remains re-routed over the completed section of new roadway.
- Section of culvert west of SR79 completed (western half of culvert). Slopes remain stabilized with permanent vegetation, Rolled Erosion Control Products (RECP), and wattles installed at culvert walls and slopes.
- Eastern half of culvert construction began in January. Expected completion date of culvert to be late July. Remaining northbound roadwork and paving will be done after culvert construction is completed. Exposed areas covered with plastic sheeting or hay mulch.
- New ditch lines on east side of SR79 that drain north and south of new culvert remain stable with (RECP) and wattles.
- Several layers of new asphalt have been placed on north bound roadway at both south and north ends of SR79. Some slope and roadwork remains to be completed between ramps.
- Step Pools Nos. 1, 2, and 3 near Green Drive along Self Creek have been completed and the disturbed areas are stabilized with permanent vegetation and (RECP).
- Sediment basin 4, 5, and 6 slopes remain stabilized with permanent seed and (RECP).
- Ramps and access roads remain under construction with Soil Nail Wall, and Pneumatic Concrete Blanket along ramps remaining.
- Completed ramp slopes are stabilized with permanent seed and (RECP). North Access Road and cul-de-sac at Old TN Pike have been paved.
- Perimeter controls remain in place along stream to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remain at Self Creek.
- Sedimentation Basins 5,6,7, 31, and 32 (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- On-going construction
- Soil Nail Wall and Pneumatic Concrete Blanket
- Finished slopes stabilized with permanent vegetation.
- Mainline subgrade has been completely “capped” with small aggregate.
- Step Pool construction completed near Sediment Basin 8.
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs being installed as required or needed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
East End (SR 75)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR75. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area.
- Lane closure (north bound) is now in effect for shoulder paving.
- New ditch line construction on east side of north bound roadway ongoing.
- New ditch slopes have been protected with RECP and hay mulch.
- Detention Basin - Basin soils remain stabilized with permanent vegetation. Perimeter BMPs installed to protect Self Creek.
- Asphalt paving to be completed in late Spring of 2016.
- Ramp and access road near church have been paved.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 8 Rain Days: 4/1(1.74”), 4/2(0.05”), 4/7 (0.61”), 4/12(1.63”), 4/14(0.21”), 4/22(0.11”), 4/23(0.04”), 4/30(1.23”)
- Total rainfall for April was approximately 5.6 inches.
- There were three “qualifying rain events” (greater than 0.75”) during April.
- Although ALDOT’s Permit does not require water sampling, samples were collected in accordance with ADEM requirements and all sampled discharges met regulatory turbidity limits.