Monthly Construction & Environmental Project Updates
West End (SR 79)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. State Troopers are patrolling area and issuing tickets.
- Traffic remains re-routed over the completed section of new roadway.
- A new ditch line on east side of SR79 has been completed and pipe installed north of culvert area.
- Section of culvert west of SR79 completed (western half of culvert). Slopes remain stabilized with permanent vegetation, Rolled Erosion Control Products (RECP), and wattles installed at culvert walls and slopes.
- Eastern portion of culvert construction began in January. Exposed areas covered with plastic sheeting.
- Several layers of asphalt have been placed from Bradford Road to south of West Oak Drive on south end of SR79.
- Sediment basin 6 at Old TN Pike Road excavation completed with BMP installation.
- Sediment basin 4 area completed. Slopes remain stabilized with permanent seed and RECP have been installed.
- Ramps and Access Roads are under construction. Completed ramp slopes are stabilized with permanent seed and RECP.
- Perimeter controls remain in place along stream to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remain at Self Creek.
- Sedimentation Basins 5,6,31, 32 (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- On-going construction
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs being installed as required or needed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
East End (SR 75)
- Detention Basin - Basin soils remain stabilized with permanent vegetation. Perimeter BMPs installed to protect Self Creek.
- Road widening and inlet construction for SR75 completed. First asphalt layer to be completed in spring of 2016.
- Ramp and access road near church have been paved.
Construction of soil nail wall near access ramps on-going.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 6 Rain Days: 2/3 (2.48”), 2/15 (0.11”), 2/16 (1.70”), 2/23 (1.90”), 2/24 (1.84”), 2/25 (0.08”)
- Total rainfall for February was approximately 8.1 inches.
- There were four “qualifying rain events” (greater than 0.75”) during January.
- Although ALDOT’s Permit does not require water sampling, samples were collected in accordance with ADEM requirements and all sampled discharges met regulatory turbidity limits.