Monthly Construction & Environmental Project Updates
West End (SR 79)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
- Traffic remains re-routed over the completed section of new roadway.
- Section of culvert west of SR79 completed (western half of culvert). Slopes remain stabilized with permanent vegetation, Rolled Erosion Control Products (RECP), and wattles installed at culvert walls and slopes.
- Eastern half of culvert construction now completed. Remaining northbound roadwork remains to be done. New fill slopes will be seeded and RECP.
- Asphalt will be placed on newly completed culvert section after paving on SR75 is completed (last week of August).
- Traffic will be shifted to newly paved asphalt while existing roadway is resurfaced and any remaining work on west side of SR79 is completed.
- Final traffic stripping will be done after all asphalt is completed (middle to late September).
- New ditch lines on east side of SR79 that drain north and south of new culvert remain stable with RECP and wattles.
- Some slope and roadwork between remains to be completed between Ramps.
- Three Step Pools near Green Drive along Self Creek are functional. All areas remain stabilized with permanent vegetation and RECP.
- Sediment Basins slopes remain stabilized with permanent seed and RECP.
- Perimeter controls remain in place along stream to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remain at Self Creek.
- Sedimentation Basins (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
- General items: Site mowing of all permanent vegetation has been completed.
- Completed ramp slopes are stabilized with permanent seed and RECP. Completed ramp roads are now “capped” with aggregate.
- North Access Road and cul-de-sac at Old TN Pike have been paved.
- “Punch list” work throughout project site has begun.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- Soil Nail Wall, and Pneumatic Concrete Blanket completed.
- Finished slopes stabilized with permanent vegetation.
- Mainline subgrade has been completely “capped” with small aggregate.
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs being installed as required or needed.
Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
East End (SR 75)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR75. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
- Asphalt paving scheduled to begin August 15, 2016 and should be completed within one week.
- New ditch line construction on east side of north bound roadway completed.
- New ditch slopes have been protected with RECP and hay mulch.
- Detention Basin- Basin soils remain stabilized with permanent vegetation. Perimeter BMPs installed to protect Self Creek.
- Ramp and access road near church have been paved.
- Site mowing of permanent vegetation has been completed.
- Guard rail installation along shoulders is underway, which necessitates temporary lane closures.
- Temporary lane closures will be in effect periodically as final work items are completed.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 9 Rain Days: 7/5 (0.67”), 7/11 (1.71”), 7/13 (0.16”), 7/15 (2.31”), 7/22 (1.00”), 7/25 (0.38”), 7/26 (0.56”), 7/29 (0.29”), 7/31 (0.72”)
- Total rainfall for July was approximately 7.8 inches.
- There were three “qualifying rain events” (greater or equal to 0.75”) during July.
- Rainfall on July 15, 2016 caused turbid runoff that was observed prior to sampling. ADEM notified on July 15 of turbid discharge.
- Although ALDOT’s Permit does not require water sampling after “qualifying rain events” samples were collected in accordance with ADEM requirements and all sampled discharges met regulatory turbidity limits.