Monthly Construction & Environmental Project Updates
West End (SR 79)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR79. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph. Traffic remains re-routed over the completed section of new roadway.
- Section of culvert west of SR79 completed (western half of culvert). Slopes remain stabilized with permanent vegetation, Rolled Erosion Control Products (RECP), and wattles installed at culvert walls and slopes.
- Eastern half of culvert construction began in January. Expected completion date of culvert to be late July. Remaining northbound roadwork and paving will be done after culvert construction is completed. Exposed areas covered with plastic sheeting or hay mulch.
- New ditch lines on east side of SR79 that drain north and south of new culvert remain stable with RECP and wattles.
- Several layers of new asphalt have been placed on north bound roadway at both south and north ends of SR79. Some slope and roadwork remains to be completed between ramps.
- Step Pools near Green Drive along Self Creek have been completed and the disturbed areas remain stabilized with permanent vegetation and RECP.
- Sediment basin slopes remain stabilized with permanent seed and RECP.
Perimeter controls remain in place along stream to protect water quality.
- Sediment Retention Barrier (silt fence and hay bales) remain at Self Creek.
Sedimentation Basins (with pumps and skimmers) on SR 79 functioning properly. Active stormwater treatment applied as necessary to discharge clean water.
- Completed ramp slopes are stabilized with permanent seed and RECP. Completed ramp roads are now “capped” with aggregate.
- North Access Road and cul-de-sac at Old TN Pike have been paved.
Mainline (Station 2150 to Station 2235 at SR 75)
- On-going construction
- Perimeter and other appropriate BMPs installed as required or needed.
- Temporary, permanent, and post-construction BMPs remain in place.
East End (SR 75)
- Construction safety zone in effect along SR75. Speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
- North bound roadway shoulder paving has been completed.
- New ditch line construction on east side of north bound roadway completed.
- New ditch slopes have been protected with RECP and hay mulch.
- Detention Basin - Basin soils remain stabilized with permanent vegetation. Perimeter BMPs installed to protect Self Creek.
Final asphalt layer to be completed in late summer of 2016.
Ramp and access road near church have been paved.
Site mowing began the last week of May.
Environmental Status this reporting period:
- 6 Rain Days: 5/2 (0.14”), 5/3 (0.37”), 5/5 (0.18”), 5/13 (0.60”), 5/18 (0.06”), 5/21 (0.05”).
- Total rainfall for May was approximately 1.4 inches.
- There were no “qualifying rain events” (greater or equal to 0.75”) during May.
- Site visit and record check by ADEM on May 23, 2016 as a part of ALDOT MS4 program audit. No deficiencies noted during the visit.